Monday, January 10, 2011

Ten Days In

We are now ten days into 2011.  Did you set a resolution or goal?  How have you stuck to those?  In the past I have set resolutions to lose weight.  I start off great.  But a week into it, I fail.  I quit setting resolutions because they just seem made to be broken.  This year I decided to set a few goals.  

I want to read through the Bible in chronological order, have a more passionate prayer time, walk closer to God, deepen my relationship with my husband and my children, and have a more positive attitude.  These are goals I know, with Christ's help, I will meet.  Yes, there will be struggles.  My kids will still argue or disobey from time to time.  My husband and I will still have 'discussions.'  And there have already been numerous times my attitude wasn't positive.  

In part of my goals of getting closer to God, I am realizing there are certain things that  can hinder that.  I have a addiction to Pepsi.  Yes, food (or in this case beverage) can be an addiction and yes, it can hinder your relationship with God.  I will talk more about that later this month.  My sweet sister who is taking the same journey with me is trying to stay away from sugar.  We are helping each other through prayer and encouragement.  The other night she asked me to pray for her because she was wanting cookies.  So I stopped and prayed for God to help her through the craving.  God clearly spoke to me.  He said, "Worship Me through the craving."  So beautiful!  I passed that onto my sweet sister.  Not hours later, I was in the same boat.  My husband went to get a soda and I really wanted a Pepsi.  God's words came to mind and I sang Draw Me Close To You until the craving was gone.  I was beautiful!

I want to encourage you, if you have gotten off track in your New Year's resolution or goals, do not give up!  Get back up and try again.  If you missed a day of Bible reading, if you had an extra large piece of cheesecake, if you smoked one more cigarette, it is okay.  Just get back to it.  You can do!  Pray and ask God to help you with your goals.  He wants to be there for us.  He wants to see us through this.  With God's help, you CAN do it!

Sweet Blessings~

13 comments:

  1. Good advice. I love the statement..."Worship through the craving." It speaks volumes to me. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenifer, I think when we set goals instead of resolutions it helps us. The one thing that is the most important is the Lord. With Him all things are possible. I really prayed hard last night for a healing and I am better this morning. Thanks for another beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing feels better than peace, and that peace comes from being obedient to God and seeking Him first. I don't want to crave anything more than God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello dear Jen,
    I don't do New Years resolutions, either. I have set down some goals on paper, though and already I have been following through. My spiritual goals are like yours, improve my relationship with God and with my family. Those are day to day goals, the other ones are regarding my health, like taking off a couple more pounds and getting tests done this year that a woman of 52 should have done every year, but I haven't had done for three years. Yes...those are the things that I struggle with. I hate tests that invade my privacy. Oh well, they are a necessary evil. So they are all scheduled in February, nothing available sooner.
    Thanks for the encouraging word this morning.
    Love and Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Jenifer for this wonderful encouragement! I am also reading my Chronological bible and I have kept up, praise the Lord and I'm really enjoying it! Besides this my goals are to be a more supportive wife to my husband who is working like crazy and though it's been a stress I'm trying to see it from God's perspective. My job is to be his helper, supporter, lover... no matter what. I am trying to be more patient, loving and slow to speak with him and the kids. And, you know what God has given me the strength to be different than I have been in the past. I am also reading Made to Crave and am looking forward to the webcast. I'm watching what I'm eating because I want to be healthy and more effective for Him! Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post Jenifer.

    Like you, I'm setting goals and not making resolutions. In fact, I have many of the same goals you do. I want an even closer relationship with God, be more positive for those around me, and as always to be the best husband and father I can be.

    I love the message "Worship Me through the craving."... What a fantastic statement! I'll keep your fight against soda in my prayers.

    Have a Blessed Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the term goals instead of resolutions...goals seem more achievable to me :-)
    Mine are also along the same lines as all of yours and I know that with God's help I'll get there. Maybe not all this year but hey that's why they are goals right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phil, thank you for your prayers! I can surely use them. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. GREAT post! I hope you had a wonderful Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It has truly been a "sweet blessing" to stop by your blog tonight.
    I wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog today and commenting. But now I need to thank you for blessing my heart!
    We are similar in that I have been married 14 years, have four children, and have a very strong addition to Coke (not Pepsi). :) I struggle with quitting all the time, but just can't do it!
    Thank you for your honesty in your posts and how you honor God with your words.
    So nice to meet you!
    Blessings,
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  11. Traci, thank you for stopping by and for your kind words! I will lift you in prayer for your struggle with coke. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very encouraging Jennifer! I agree with Allison ... I like "goals" instead of resolution. I have to set daily and weekly goals. If I go beyond that, I usually fail! Whatever your goals are, you are so precious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jenifer! I blogged about my goals this year but the basics are More of God, More of others, Less of ME!!

    I have started reading through the Bible so many times I should have Genesis memorized by now!! I decided to try the 90 day challenge! 90 days seems more attainable to me then 365 days. I am hopeful that I can finish it this time!

    I had to give up any caffeine years ago due to a medical situation and it was hard! I pray that you will have peace through each craving!

    Sweet Blessings to you,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your thoughts, I love hearing from you.